...Swiss Alps, 2008

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Au revoire Paree...

Au revoir Paree...

Time has flown!  Not sure if that is just an American saying, but I would guess there is something comparable in other cultures...I'll need to find out.

A quick trip to the tower in the early hours of the morning preceded my departure.  First trip there by bus.  I enjoyed the ride, it was school time and rather than seeing parents walking their kids to school like in my neighborhood, there they were getting on the city bus together and getting off a few stops later.  Kids with their hair just right and parents so kind and gentle with them.  A sweet morning to observe.  The tower, well, I have to admit it has lost some of its daytime glamour for me.  I find the twinkling magical, next time it will have to be an evening visit.

In Paris the streets aren't always easy to follow, there are 'forks' that can create confusion, for me at least.  That is what happened when I was very lost on my first visit and I was truly panicked when I was wandering lost and alone for over an hour. Long story...but it was back when I was terrified in a faraway country and I hadn't left Cesar's side, and the two block walk alone back from the mall almost resulted in an emotional collapse as I wandered with no one helping.  I was a bit nervous about the two block walk to the bus stop, and to my amazement the concierge of my rather dumpy , but well located hotel, walked me there!  I was so I impressed and relieved.  Well, I found out he isn't the concierge officially, he is the baggage man, but he has taken very good care of me for my 3 visits there!  I have found that the bellmen and the concierge are the best people at a hotel!

My visit was uneventful, but here I was on my last outing before getting the train to Amsterdam and I'd not yet had a crepe!  One of the stands at the tower was open...so breakfast my last morning was my favorite crepe...simple with butter and sugar.  I'm not sure why, maybe because it was early and I had little sleep, but rather than saying bonjour, I said bom dia, which is a greeting in Portuguese...and when he said it back, I realized I'd spoken the wrong greeting. I asked if he was making fun of me and he replied he is Portuguese!  How strange that was, to have made that mistake with him!  We discussed Portugal a bit and then I was on my way back to the hotel...by metro, I prefer it, but the thought of the climbing up and down so many stairs makes me weak to think about after all the climbing I did!  Pretty sure I walked that crepe right off!

I stopped at the boulangerie for a couple of treats to take with me as I left the beautiful city.  I even had one more croque Monsieur and it was delicious, course #2 for breakfast.

I finished packing and the very kind bellman actually loaded my things up on his cart and walked me to the station...how nice that was!  While I was waiting until it was time to leave, he was telling me he travels 120 km each way from his home.  He has 3 children and his wife, an engineer, has been out of work for 5 years.  The economy is hurting people all over the world.

Soon I boarded the train for Amsterdam and off we went, I with my very quiet American seatmate...au revoir Paree, until next time!

No comments: