...Swiss Alps, 2008

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Stunning Santorini

Just when I thought I'd seen the most beautiful that Greece has to offer, we visited Santorini! The arrival and seeing the town up on top of a cliff is quite dramatic. We arrived at the island on tenders and had 3 ways to get to the top to the city of Fira. One could climb the almost 600 steps, ride up on donkey or ride up on a cable car. Justin chose the donkey and was whisked away before my very eyes to be put on the back of the poor burros who climb up and down the steps all day. What an adventure he said that was! I waited in the line to ascend by cable car and it went almost straight up and I believe it was even steeper than the one César and I took in the Alps. Arriving at the top was quick, and when I met up with Justin we began our exploration of the beautiful village. Just like all of the pictures! So many shops and so many beautiful things to see and well, buy! We had lunch overlooking the harbor and our ship, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect! Blue skies and cool temperatures. I tried some Greek cuisine, the Greek salad and a cheese pie and for dessert decided to try the chocolate banana crepes. All was delicious but I was surprised when the crepes came out with apples on top, guess there were no bananas there. Delicious lunch and then it was more walking and shopping. I am not sure I would ever tire of the view of the white homes on the mountain sides. We did not make it to the village on the other side of the island, guess that is something for my next visit!

Now I believe that all of the Greek islands must be incredibly beautiful and I will begin looking forward to my next trip to explore them once again!

No comments: