...Swiss Alps, 2008

Monday, November 3, 2008

Winnipeg, Day 2

I decided to write once again from Winnipeg, just before I head to the airport to wait for my afternoon flight to Churchill on Calm Air. It has been a relaxing morning after a good night's sleep. I was told my hotel was right at the airport and in my travels I've learned that can mean anything! I've never had one that was this close. If you are familiar with the lanes at our Denver airport, if you can imagine walking across 3 lanes, like I do everytime I catch the van to pick up my car, that is how close the hotel is. You walk out of the door of the very small airport and cross 3 lanes and walk into the hotel! So convenient and I was surprised at how quiet it is, not one plane could be heard in my room. This was the perfect place to stay for the gateway to my big polar bear adventure. I'll be staying here for a night on the return journey too.

I spent a little time shopping at the airport this morning, and only bought a couple of things, a little stuffed polar bear with Winnipeg on it was my favorite. I know I am going to see the polar bears in the wild, but had forgotten what a 'dangerous' place this would be for a polar bear collector! And this is only a taste of what Churchill will be like. I chatted with a lady at the travel store who told me that she sees people come and go on this trip and everyone says it is fantastic. I guess I shouldn't need any more encouragement, but it is nice. She also told me I was lucky to be on Calm Air and not the Bear something airlines because my plane has a bathroom...oh my!

I rode the elevator to my room with 4 British people who had just returned from the trip and said it was incredible. They said there was snow on the ground, making it all just picture perfect. And they assured me it is very cold there!! They stayed at a place called the Aurora, something I will check out for my future trips to Hudson Bay. After all, if Bob, the birthday boy (man) from yesterday has been 4 times, I certainly can do this again...but for now I just have to make it the first time.

Hopefully I'll be able to write from Churchill, but if not I will certainly share all the details when I return! And I did see on CNN they asked people to share where they were and the conditions when they watched the election results tomorrow. Wonder if there will be the capability to write or video us from the tundra buggy in the Arctic tundra?? Now that is a great place to be during the election craziness!

Speaking of crazy, that term has been used for me more than once in the last year and I hope my friend Murray doesn't mind my sharing his comments on this subject...he said I do choose the time, place and duration of my craziness. True and put so well, thanks Murray for putting such a positive light on my recent reluctant adventures!

Next stop...Churchill!

1 comment:

MileHiMB said...

Oooh! Am I famous now? --Murray