...Swiss Alps, 2008

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Frankfurter in Frankfurt

Greetings from Frankfurt. I've got a bit of time before I head to the long part of my journey, Frankfurt to Athens. I'd hoped for a pretzel, but there are none in the lounge, where I was allowed to enter this time. But there are plenty of frankfurters so that is what I decided to enjoy instead. They are served with spicy mustard and sauerkraut, a kind of fried onions, like the ones we get in a can, and pickles. There are small packets of ketchup available, probably for the Americans. It was good, but then I haven't had one of those for months either. I tried a pretzel from a stand in the concourse and it was very hard and flavorless...waste of 2 euros! But I had to try it. The lounge had containers of some hot snack mix, some nuts and some gummy treats, after all haribo, I think it is, is German. And this will be it for my stay in Frankfurt it appears. All shops other than duty free and one newsstand are outside security, a long way to walk so no shopping here for me. A bit more about Amsterdam, I had an experience I've never had before. I was walking back to my hotel and had a couple of blocks to go and an old, well at least older than me, man looked over and started talking to me. It was a language i didnt know. I ignored him and went slower but he kept stopping and waiting for me. Finally I passed him and turned the corner to my hotel. I looked back and he was still following me. This had gone on for one very long block. I turned into my hotel and looked back and he watching me and followed me in. I went directly to the concierge desk and showed him the man, who had stopped inside the first door and who then turned his back to me. The concierge was awesome and he said he would ask him to leave and I said I would just go to my room. He walked me to the elevator and said he would wait there to be sure I wasn't followed. I waited about an hour, repacking, and went down. Evidently the man hung around thinking I would show up. My new friend, the concierge, said he went and stood by him to chat and the man seemed very uncomfortable and eventually left. He told me next time not to worry about getting back to my hotel, to just go into any hotel and restaurant and tell them what was happening. He told me that man was very strange and he was glad I made it back and was safe. In all of my travels I've never been in that situation, and hope never to be again! I really can't say enough about the awesome men who work at the concierge desk! It's almost time for my ride to the gate...I hope this time there isn't a bus out to the plane, such a hassle for this spoiled American. Next entry should be from magical Mykonos!

No comments: