...Swiss Alps, 2008

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mykonos Musings...

So much time to think here.  I am lucky to have the gift of free time in my life now, but there is something about being in a beautiful place relaxing, that sets up the opportunity to let my mind wander.  Why do I love travel so much?  I now hate the journey part most of the time, but ahhh, arriving at the destinations I've chosen is still a thrill! I know I'm not alone in this wanderlust of mine, and yet, after a calm, rather 'normal' life, what is this drive I experience to do and see more and more and more?  Life is so much more interesting to me when I'm planning or experiencing travel.  And why now?  I think I am longing for adventure after a long, routine-ish life.  Thank goodness at least I don't need to do daring things like climbing mountains for my thrills.  I do feel like a child at Disneyland when I am in some far away place.  Why do I love it so much? 

Sitting by the infinity pool today, one that looks as though it is flowing into the sea, my mind meandered through many thoughts of the contentment I feel so far from home.  My musings provided me with a simple explanation of my burning desire to travel.  I enjoy interesting and beautiful...places, people and foods!  And although I know interesting and beautiful people at home, and can search out interesting and beautiful foods and sights, but when traveling there is no searching, it just happens.  So many beautiful people with interesting stories, maybe it is the stories I enjoy  Meeting people who have lived lives different than mine, and hearing their stories makes the world seem smaller.  Everyone has a story, whether it is the shopkeeper who still mourns the loss of her mother or the taxi driver who grew up raisning then slaughtering his goats, everyone has a story.  And I hope that as long as I can, I will travel the world and listen.

Such history everywhere too, whether it is the ancient Greek stories of the ruins or the story of how tulips ended up in Holland.  And then there is the food...oh my, the food!  I am not a gourmet, I'm not an expert on cuisine, but I just may be a foodie, if there really is such a thing...Oh how I love to try the foods in different places!  Now I'm not really brave about it, I didn't chew the shrimp heads like gum to enjoy the flavor of the brains, but I thought about it.  I decided that I was quite content enjoying the shrimp saganaki, sans heads!  The breakfast at my hotel was lovely this morning.  A full array of Greek delicacies and how hard to pass up anything.  I watched others have a healthy breakfast of yogurt and fruit and maybe some cereal, probably what I should do  But for me, why be in Greece if you can't sample all the foods available?  I can have yogurt and fruit at home!  And so I took a bit of each new and different thing and when I found something I LOVED, I got more of it.  For me, that is an important part of the culltural experience.  There were breads and cakes and cookies and pastries, along with sausages, bacon and eggs two ways.  There were meats and cheeses.   There was a feast laid out, meant to be enjoyed.  And that I did.  There were some koularakia, like the cookies my Greek mom used to make and although they weren't like hers exactly, enjoying them brought her back into my life for a moment in time.  I'm quite sure that if I lived here, my healthy eating would be nonexistent, so for this short time I am here to enjoy the entire experience, food and all! 

Yesterday I had a Greek salad for lunch, how healthy it was.  But I also had some fried potatoes that were excellent!  Complete with oregano on them, at least I think that is what they were telling me they were covered with, whatever it was, they were delicious!  Last night I had pita and tzatziki and when it came it was so fancy I hated to eat it!  But I did!  I also had Myconian cheese pies, the cheese from here wrapped in filo dough and fried, and served with a sauce that was delicious!  Such wonderful food experiences to enjoy here!  They have already gotten what they need to make me shrimp saganaki for my dinner tonight.  That is one of the more healthy foods I've enjoyed and absolutely delicious!

So I continue to enjoy the interesting and beautiful in the world!  And now I am heading to Mykonos Town to visit the church that Jon recommended, it is wonderful to have a personal tour guide, even if he is so far away!  Then I will wander the streets enjoying the interesting and beautiful of Mykonos for now!

2 comments:

Barb & Omar said...

My exact sentiments regarding traveling! I'm drooling over your description of the food! Thanks for sharing!

jon_rwr said...

Mitzi, I hope you found the church at Fabrika and its tiny beautiful cemetary slap bang in the middle of Mykonos town. Hardly anyone knows it is there but those that do know it is so worth a visit.

Be brave and try some local sea-urchin if you see it on the menu.

Jon