...Swiss Alps, 2008

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Time

Time, such a concete concept, isn't it?  What time is your appointment?  What time does your flight leave?  What time is it right now?

But there is so much more to time...timelessness, in the nick of time, timely, well timed, it's about time, etc.  And how many times has a day flown by, or a day dragged?  Probably all of this about time is the result of this being the last day of my vacation before the jouney home begins.  Was it really just 2 weeks ago that I was going to the airport with my usual mix of fear and excitement?  Was it really 34 years ago on the day I flew to Amsterdam that I got married?  Was it really 14 years ago that my daddy died, on the day I spent flying from Amsterdam to Mykonos?  And Mother's day, has it really been 23 years since I have had my mother for Mother's day?  Yes, all of that seems like eons ago, and like last week.  And yet, the last two weeks of pure pleasure, has seemed like months!  What an interesting feeling about my world right now.  Mother's Day is hard for me, I never became a mother and don't have one, but I know that I am so lucky to be in Mykonos living a dream, even if it is a different dream.  We don't always get what we want...how many times does one hear that in a lifetime!  However, I was fortunate to get what I never even knew I wanted, the opportunity to travel and see the world.  I guess everyone has dreams that haven't come true, and blessings they never could have imagined.  That is life.  Being open to what is coming...and this trip has been such a blessing for me, such a time to explore and enjoy so much about the world.  And now the time is almost here to begin the long journey back to reality.  I'd like to think it will be different, but over time, I've learned that not much will be different, good or bad.  An escape like this isn't meant too last forever, then one might not appreciate it enough.  And so as the time comes to a close, I am thankful for so many things, all the wonderful, interesting beautiful people, places and food that has filled the last 2 weeks. 

My last night is almost here and there are some options of what to do, no idea which I will choose.  The water outside my hotel room is a beautiful silver right now, with sunbeams shining down...the pre-sunset beauty. 

I was going into town to watch the sunset from that hotel and with the help of the excellent photographer/bartender get some awesome photos.  But I've got 2 nights of that scenery and since I am in a new room at my first hotel, I'm thinking I will stay here for the new view, and then go into town for dinner, maybe my favorite, shrimp saganaki.  After all it is the last dinner, for now at least. 

Last night after the sunset photo shoot I stayed at the hotel for dinner.  I ordered the shrimp saganaki and a bread basket.  The bread there is delicious!  While I was waiting they brought out some delicious breaded shrimp, a gift, no charge.  I was so impressed, how kind!  The main dish was good, but very different from the other place.  No shrimp head chewing there either.  While I was eating on the beautiful terrace, the bartender came up with some of his photos.  The ower had introduced us because of my taking so many photos and my camera, and his interest.  When he got off work, he sat with me and showed me incredible photos he had taken.  He LOVED my camera and got some great night shots with it.  We sat and talked for quite a while, another fascinating person, but from Bulgaria originally.  He worked in Santorini for years but said after the earthquake, he moved to Mykonos.  We had a great conversation, and when you are alone, it is always nice to connect with people and have some social interactions.  He loved my photos and even asked for the original of one so he could enlarge it to cover a wall.  He said he only has his own photos in his home, mine would be the only one that wasn't his.  When I get back I will happily share the original with him and hope that he is able to enlarge it that much.  It was an evening of mutual respect for each other's photography.  I hope to see many more that he takes.  After finishing my dinner the waitress walked out with hot vanilla and chocolate souffle and ice cream, another gift from the hotel!  It was delicious and one of the only times I've seen it served the way Cesar told me it was to be eaten.  In Greece they know how to do it right!  It was amazing!  Dimitris didn't join me in that but after that he said something in Greek and we both had small shot glasses of what he said was exotic fruit ouzo.  I said I didn't care for ouzo and he said to try it.  I loved it!  He said of course he knew that, he is the bartender.  By the time we said goodnight, I barely made it to the room and put in the memory card to download photos and I was fast asleep.  What a great evening that was!

This morning was wonderful, after the delicious breakfast buffet at the hotel, I wandered through the town and made sure I did get to the cemetery, Jon.  Thanks for that suggestion.  And yes, it is true that the Greek people bury their loved ones for only 4 years in the cemetery and then put the remains in their family chapels that are all over the island.  Not enough room to keep people there.  The cemetery was quite interesting, each gravesite is filled with flowers, fake and real, and there are photos of the family member that is there and there are little altar like glass boxes by many of them that contain items that must have been important to that person.  There might be fresh flowers in them too, and candles lit.  Very touching scene actually.  There was a groundskeeper sweeping up leaves and two different people there putting fresh flowers into the glass boxes, and cleaning up around the graves too.  Such concern and honoring of their loved ones.  It was a very meaningful visit, a way to feel a bit more of Greek culture.    And a very fitting day to be there.

On the way in I had an interesting experience too.  I was ready to walk up the stairs to the cemetery and I heard a noise, like a clicking sound and all around little kitties were appearing.  I followed their path and there was a lady all dressed in purple, with 2 large bags, and she started feeding the cats.  It was so touching and I had to ask her about that.  She went on and on about how the Myconian people don't care about the cats and would leave them to die, so every 7 hours she makes the rounds and feeds them.  How happy those darling little kitties were!  I was so touched and could see myself doing something like that so I handed her all the money I'd just gotten back from change from the taxi.  It wasn't a lot, but it might help her a bit.  She said I didn't have to do that, but I said I wanted to.  She said she had been an actress in Athens and just loved them all so much.  She told me about a couple and then showed me one who was  blind and didn't have many teeth like her, and she opened a can of moist food and put it in front of that cat so it could eat too.  Such a touching scene.  She invited to meet her at her next stop, but somehow I missed it.  That is okay, I'd seen and met her and was thankful that all of those little creatures had her in their lives.  And the day went on!

I wandered more, that makes 2 times this trip I've been officially lost Jon, just so you know!  Now I don't worry about it, and before I knew it I was at the windmills again and then took a walk by Little Venice too.  I got to a point and no one was moving, it is a narrow walkway, and there was Pietros, the resident pelican!  He is huge!  I did get some photos, but not any great ones.  He was totally at ease just watching all the people snap photos and go stand beside him for some.  Not my first time to see him, but his size is still astounding!  After a few photos I moved out of the way so the others could get their photos and then I continued on my walk.  I saw homes and buildings with other color shutters and doors so that was fun, and before I knew it I was back at the old port.  And there in front of one of the restaurants was a donkey.  It happened to be in front of the one I stopped at yesterday for some saganaki, fried cheese, and the man working there called over the Greek man, who got on his donkey to put on a singing show for me.  The man is quite old and seemed not doing too well, but had fun it seemed.  After a few photos of that local experience, I took a taxi back to pack up at the hotel and the very nice son who owns the hotel gave me a ride back to my first hotel. 

I'm quite sure no one does what I have done, but it is okay, I really appreciated Theodore giving me the same price for the room so I could spend my last night immersed in this 5 star luxury!  I sat by the pool and read for a couple of hours and have been packing since.  Haven't seen Theodore which is strange, he is usually everywhere and we were going to go to the chapel here.  He wanted to light a candle for me for my upcoming surgery and I was going to light one for a friend's mother.  Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to happen this trip.  I do hope I see him to thank him for everything  before I leave.

What an amazing time I've had with so many wonderful people in so many wonderful places!  Yes, this was a great trip, thank you to Jon for your help, and I have to say the planning was superb...if I must say so myself!  Glad I chose two places my personal tour guide knew about because so much of the success was due to that!

Now to prepare for the sunset and my last trip into town.  Tomorrow I leave, with hope that one day I will return to enjoy all my new friends and make more.  Kalinicta (no idea how to spell it...good night in Greek)  from Mykonos!

No comments: