...Swiss Alps, 2008

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mykonos day 1

I don't know who wrote the quote "It's a wonderful thing to do nothing and then to rest afterwards" but quite possibly they were spending time in the Greek isles,or at least on some other beautiful island where time slips by quietly. After the busy pace of my first week, and the very long journey to reach Mykonos, it all seems like long ago after just one day of doing nothing and then resting afterwards! I now think I know what a celebrity feels like, just make a return visit to the  Grand hotel to experience it yourself! What an incredibly warm welcome I received when I walked into the hotel. So many people recognized me and the warmest welcome was from Theodore, the manager. He whisked me away to my room and I asked about paperwork and he asked if I really thought I had to do that when everyone knew me so well? Well, I signed my name and was checked in. He was so kind and welcoming that it was like seeing an old friend. My friend Jon said the Greek people have long memories, and that was proven true. I settled in and then went to dinner. When I walked in I was greeted by some more people who remembered me and made such a big deal over me. People kept saying I was just here...and it was months ago. But I realized I was here at the end of their season and this is the start of the new one, so it is like I was just here. One sweet girl even remembered that I'm a teacher and what table I sat at for breakfast...I didn't even remember the table.  Luckily I do remember being a teacher! Dinner was excellent but very expensive. I had grouper ravioli that were delicious but since it was an appetizer there were only two. Then I had a salad that was 3 kinds of tomatoes in the most delicious dressing with the most incredible goat cheese on lightly toasted bread, that I would highly recommend and may have to have it again, but am not sure I want to pay another 15.50 euros for it. Tonight I'll be dining in town. This morning the breakfast was still the delight I remembered. Laid out so lovely in an open air area with many delicious choices to enjoy. The breads and dessert like foods were my favorites. Yes, my taste buds are enjoying this break from our routine healthy eating too! During breakfast Theodore asked me what time I would like a ride down to the beach so we set the time for after his afternoon meeting and I spent the rest of the morning under one of the canopies by the pool. When I was handed a frozen wash cloth I remembered the spoiling I enjoy so much here! At the exact time, he appeared to move me from one lovely place of doing nothing to another! We had a nice conversation on the way and sat and talked a bit before I got out for an hour on the beach. I chatted with some nice people on the beach, it is a private one for the hotel guests. One of the pool personnel came around with a delicious ice cream bar and yes, I accepted that too. What a nice treat that was. As I was talking to Theodore he offered to let me still come to the breakfast here and enjoy the days by the pool and on the beach even when I am staying at the hotel in town. A very nice offer, but I think I'll be fine there too. After that busy day I am now in my room getting my much needed rest! :-). After sunset tonight I will go into town for dinner and a stroll...and now for my nap in beautiful Mykonos!

No comments: